This page is updated as new information becomes available. Please continue to monitor the home page for additional information.
- *NEW* 8/27/2022: IBC Memo 22-05 - UAS Incident Replacement Guide. NWCG Incident Business Committee (IBC) and the Interagency Fire UAS Subcommittee (IFUASS) has released guidance for consumable/replacement parts.
- 8/12/2022: IA IB 22-06 "Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations within Incident Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs). Please review for SGI waiver requirements for UAS operations in TFRs.
- 7/15/2022: IA IB 22-04 "Potential Airspace Challenges Resulting From Misinformation". Please review for clarification on the Fire Traffic Area Diagram, PMS505D
- 7/14/2022: Interagency Aviation Accident Prevention Bulletin 22-05: UAS NOTAMS has been issued.
- 7/8/2022: Interagency Aviation Mishap Response Guide UAS Insert. This document has been recently approved and should be implemented immediately.
- 6/28/2022: M600 Battery Shipping: With a recent increase in activity and ROs to Alaska, RPs must be aware of M600 Lithium Ion battery watt hours (Wh) and rules:
- T47S batteries are 99.9 Wh and are clear for carry-on luggage on airlines.
- T48S batteries are 129.96 Wh. MAY NOT CARRY-ON. Must be shipped!
- Reference: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/lithium-batteries-100-watt-hours-or-less-device
- 6/17/2022: Accident Prevention Bulletin 22-03 - Defective M600 Batteries
- 6/13/2022: Interagency Tech Bulletin 22-01 for M-600 Props
- 6/10/2022: Western US Standard A/G Freqs for Air Ambulance on Fires
- 7/8/2022: Interagency Aviation Mishap Response Guide UAS Insert
- 5/9/2022: SAFECOM 22-0234, M600 Batteries
- 3/25/2022: DOI Accident Prevention Bulletin (APB) 22-02: Solo Battery Life
Are you prepared for the 2022 Season?
Information: Several RPs have reported problems in IQCS with UASP qualifications. Many are missing the triennial RT-373 requirement. Please check the UASP Position Qualification Requirements from the NWCG website for more information. The 2021 edition of RT-373 is available on the Wildland Fire Learning Portal, and the 2022 version should be available soon.
PMS 515 is updated - please review it! https://www.nwcg.gov/publications/pms515
Before any flight, have you:
Checked your Pilot Currency? (eg: Part 107, A-452R, RT373; Carded, Proficient, and Current on aircraft and mission profile (ELOS/BVLOS) per Agency/Departmental Policy)
Checked your Aircraft status? (eg: Inspection and 36U)
Confirmed your Authorization? (eg: Approved PASP/MASP, familiar with PMS 515 procedures and policy; notifications made)
Coordinated your Airspace Clearance? (Do you need a NOTAM or SGI? What FAA provisions or agreement are you flying under?)
Reminder: IA-IB 21-07 has relevant information for IMTs on UAS Operations
OPM-11 Guidance for Remote Pilots
DOI OPM-11 remains a core policy for UAS Operations. This policy was updated by OAS on January 1, 2022.
Flight Proficiency and Currency
OAS Proficiency Waiver - Issued on 3/12/2021, outlined instructions for regaining proficiency and currency with allowances for COVID mitigation. This waiver has expired. OPM-11 Section 19 Rules are in effect.
RPs should pay special attention to definitions for flight currency and flight proficiency.
Flight Proficiency: Remote Pilots must demonstrate three takeoffs (launch) and landings (recovery) with the UAS they are approved to operate within the preceding 90 days.
Flight Currency: Remote Pilots are required to fly each of the aircraft for which they are carded at least once every 12 months or the interval specified on their OAS-30U.
Check OPM-11 section 19 for more information.
2021 Agency-FAA Certificates of Authorization
NOTAMs and Airspace
- NOTAM Acronym Change IA-IB 22-01 NOTAM now stands for "Notices to Air Missions"
- NWCG Standards for Airspace Coordination PMS 520
- NWCG Fire Traffic Area Reference and Diagram (Updated 4/2022)
- DoD Aeronautical Information System (Links to AP1A/AP1B on right side menu)
- Flight Services (1800WXBrief)
Special Government Interest Waivers
SGI waivers are required for UAS operations inside a TFR. Contact the UAS Coordinator for assistance with waiver coordination through the FAA.
See IA IB 22-06 for additional information: IA IB 22-06 "Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations within Incident Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs).
- Interagency SGI Instructions (11/04/2022)
- IFUAS SGI Request Template (4/12/2022, MS Word Doc)
- FAA SGI Website
Training and Reference
- Icom IC-A25 radio features (Youtube Video)
- BLM NOC UAS Flight Planning Spreadsheet (Gapinski, 4/8/2022)
- Western US Standard Air to Ground Frequencies for Air Ambulance/Air MedEvac on Wildland Fire Incidents (NIFC, 6/10/2022)