Welcome to the Interagency UAS Website
This website is intended to provide operational knowledge primarily for interagency fire UAS operations. Department level information, such as 2U reports, pilot qualifications, and aircraft information is available via a Sharepoint site maintained by OAS.
(current as of 9/21/2022)
*NEW* 9/21/2022: Updated guidance on ELOS/BVLOS Certification. An explanation is available on the Qualification and Certification Process page under the Training tab.
8/27/2022: IBC Memo 22-05 - UAS Incident Replacement Guide. NWCG Incident Business Committee (IBC) and the Interagency Fire UAS Subcommittee (IFUASS) has released guidance for consumable/replacement parts.
- 8/12/2022: IA IB 22-06 "Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations within Incident Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs). Please review for SGI waiver requirements for UAS operations in TFRs.
7/15/2022: IA IB 22-04 "Potential Airspace Challenges Resulting From Misinformation". Please review for clarification on the Fire Traffic Area Diagram, PMS505D
7/14/2022: Interagency Aviation Accident Prevention Bulletin 22-05: UAS NOTAMS has been issued.
6/28/2022: M600 Battery Transportation Reminder. T47S batteries are 99.9 watt hours and are allowed as carry-on luggage for domestic airlines. T48S batteries are 129.96 watt hours and ARE NOT allowed as carry-on luggage. See the TSA website for more information: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/lithium-batteries-100-watt-hours-or-less-device
Safety, Emergency, and Equipment Bulletins
**EMERGENCY PROCEDURES**- 7/8/2022: Interagency Aviation Mishap Response Guide UAS Insert
The Mishap Response guide is available for immediate implementation:
**SAFETY - 6/17/2022: ACCIDENT PREVENTION BULLETIN 22-03: DEFECTIVE M-600 BATTERIES
All M-600 pilots! Review APB 22-03 with regard to defective M-600 batteries.
**TECH BULLETIN - 6/9/2022: Malfunctioning Matrice 600 Propellers
Area of Concern: Two different styles of propellers, each with a different result when malfunction occurs. All M-600 RP's, please review the Interagency Tech Bulletin TB22-01 ASAP.
Relevant Policy and Guidance Updates
IA IB 21-09 "Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) crossing multiple Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) Airspace Boundaries" was released on Sept 24, 2021. Please refer to this when operating in an airspace that may span multiple ARTCC boundaries, requiring separate TFR notices and subsequent SGI requests for UAS operations.
IA IB 21-07 "2021 Wildland Fire Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Briefing for Aviation Personnel" is available. Please pass this reference along to any manned aviators, helibase and dispatch personnel, or anyone from the incident operations community who may need more information about how authorized UAS safely integrate into wildland fire.
Interagency UAS Operations
- Safely, effectively, and efficiently employ UAS in support of resource program, or incident management objectives.
- Develop UAS operations capacity through standard safety, training, flight, data collection, data processing, and project management processes.
- Develop a contract program (data and flight), which supports incident and resource management objectives.
UAS can positively impact every resource program by utilizing state of the art equipment. UAS derived data and imagery empowers scientists, incident personnel, and senior leaders to make informed decisions based on precise and real-time information. Data gathered from UAS is unique due to the ability of the aircraft to fly low, slow, and for long periods of time while collecting high-resolution imagery and sub-centimeter data.
- 04/08/2022 - Aerial Ignition Academy Video
- 11/15/2021 - FY2021 BLM UAS Program StoryMap
- 09/09/2021 - Type 1 UAS on the Schneider Springs Fire
- 08/26/2021 - UAS reconnaissance in Montana
- 05/05/2021 - 2021 Wildland Fire UAS Integration Video
- 11/17/2020 - Helicopter Association International UAS Briefing
- 10/27/2020 - 2020 BLM UAS Summary
- 10/16/2020 - M600 Safety Alert
- 10/12/2020 - Notice to M600 Remote Pilots
- 10/04/2020 - UAS on the Los Padres NF