Interagency Fire UAS Ordering – 5/7/2021
Best Practices for Ordering
There is an on-call UAS Coordinator available to answer questions regarding UAS capabilities and to help determine the type of UAS (1-4) and overhead (UASP, UASD, UASM, or UASL) to order.
- UAS personnel are in high demand. Please order trainees when approved/possible.
- Cooperators wishing to fly UAS on federally managed incidents must have a Cooperator letter issued by DOI or USFS.
- For RX Fire UAS Operations (including Aerial Ignition) please call the UAS Coordinator as outlined below.
The UAS Coordinator can be reached @ 208-387-5335. The purpose of this position is to provide information to decision makers/ordering units. Prioritization of UAS resources is beyond the scope of this position and should be performed in accordance with established local/GACC/national procedures.
There are three federal UAS ordering scenarios:
- Agency UAS for situational awareness/IR/mapping
- Agency UAS for aerial ignition
- CWN contract UAS for large fire
Agency UAS for Situational Awareness/IR/Small Area Mapping (Type 3 or 4)
- Order UASP.
- Order a UASD if a geospatial product such as fire perimeter/area or orthomosaic is desired.
- In the Special Needs section, state agency Type 3 or 4 with desired capabilities.
- There is no need to order the UAS (aircraft order). UASPs are equipped with agency UAS.
Agency UAS for Aerial Ignition (Type 3)
- Order an Unmanned Aircraft - Rotorwing - Type 3
- In the Special Needs section, note:
- DJI M600 with Ignis 2.0 PSD Machine and XT2 Zenmuse IR/EO Camera Sensor
- Other small UAS, sensors, support equipment (trailer), cell phone, tablets, televisions, laptops authorized
- Large SUV, off road capable rental vehicle or NERV large SUV, off road capable vehicle authorized.
- Trainees authorized
- Aerial Ignition Type 3 is capable of Situational Awareness/IR/Small Area Mapping missions.
- Order will be filled with 2 UAS Aerial Ignition Remote Pilots.
Call When Need Contract UAS (Type 1 or 2)
- CWN UAS are a national resource and must be ordered through the NICC Aircraft Desk.
- Order either Unmanned Aircraft, Fixed Wing Type 1 or Fixed Wing Type 2.
- Order UAS Overhead
- UAS Manager (UASM)
- UAS Data Specialist (UASD)
- UASM and UASD are overhead orders and cannot be subordinate to the A# generated by the aircraft order.