Policy and Documentation Relevant to the Interagency UAS Program
- FAA Part 107 Fact Sheet
- PMS 515 - NWCG Standards for Fire UAS Operations
- OPM 11 - DOI Use of UAS
- USFS Standard for UAS Operations
- FS Manual 5700
- FS Handbook 5709.16
National Wildfire Coordinating Group
The NWCG Interagency Fire Unmanned Aircraft Systems Subcommittee (UASSC) provides national leadership to develop and disseminate guidance on the use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) in wildland fire management operations. Primary objectives include:
Enable safe, effective and efficient UAS operations in the wildland fire management environment by developing and disseminating comprehensive wildland fire related UAS guidance. Include standards for UAS utilization, performance, risk management, qualifications, training, and equipment.
Provide coordinated and unified UAS subject matter expertise to NIAC and the NWCG member agencies.
Serve as a focal point for interagency wildland fire UAS operational initiatives, proposals, and issues.
Identify and evaluate UAS related problems; develop and propose solutions.
Solicit input from operations and management personnel on UAS related issues.
Secretarial Order 3379
Reference the SO 3379 Implementation Guidance for the most up-to-date information regarding SO3379.
- On January 29, 2020, Secretary Bernhardt signed SO3379 ordering the temporary cessation of non-emergency aircraft systems fleet operations.
- The secretary's office released Implementation Guidance for SO3379 on January 31st, 2020.
- UAS Operations for Emergencies and for Emergency Proficiency must follow the UAS Waiver and Reporting Form Instructions available with the Implementation Guidance.
- Information on the Blue sUAS program and Designated UAS is also available.
OPM-11 - DOI Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
- BLM National Aviation Plan (2020)
- Draft SO 3379 Interpretation (BLM Stepdown Guidance)
- Blue sUAS Update
Department of Agriculture - US Forest Service (USFS)
National Park Service (NPS)
Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS)
Other Relevant Policy/Guidance
- Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Aviation Operations (Red Book)
- National Interagency Mobilization Guide